Thu. May 23rd, 2024

By Jimmy Fatunbi

The Executive governor of Plateau State, Caleb Mutfwang, imposed a 24-hour curfew on Mangu Local Government Areas of the state, following fresh attacks which claimed 12 lives and properties in Farinkasa Kerana and Sabon Gari communities yesterday.

A resident, Mathew Habila who confirmed the killings in Jos yesterday, said the victims were killed in their houses on Saturday night

He lamented that the gunmen also set many houses on fire, leaving the two communities deserted.

“We have our people killed again in another attack last night. This time, 12 people were killed with several others injured and many houses were burnt by Fulani militia at Farinkasa Kerana and Sabon Gari communities in Mangu districts of Mangu council,” Habila said.

Efforts to reach the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Alabo Alfred, proved abortive as his phone was switched off.

Addressing newsmen in Jos, National President of MDA, Joseph Gwankat, said: “It is in the public domain that MACBAN has been hiring foreign mercenaries to attack communities, including ours.

“Our villages have been deserted due to these attacks and have become grazing fields for the Fulani herders. So far, a total of 204 of our people have been killed in 53 attacks carried out by them.

“We, therefore, strongly suggest that the Federal Government should declare MACBAN a terrorist organisation because of the heinous crimes that its members are perpetrating in various parts of Nigeria.

“We urge the government to take full responsibility for educating children below the age of 10 who have lost both parents as a result of the attacks, while arrangements are made for the SS3 students whose WAEC exams were disrupted due to these attacks.”

In a related development, kinsmen of Governor Mutfwang under the aegis of the Mwaghavul Development Association, MDA, have renewed calls on the Federal Government to declare the Miyeti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, MACBAN, a terrorist organisation.

The governor, in consultation with the State Security Council, imposed a curfew on the entire council to restore law and order.

The Director of Press and Public Affairs, Gyang Bere, said: “Consequently, movements within the council have been banned until further notice except for security personnel and persons on essential duties.

“Security agencies have, therefore, been directed to ensure total enforcement of the curfew.
“Meanwhile, the governor has assured the people that the government is working round-the-clock to restore peace and security in the state.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *