Ghanaian football star, Christian Atsu has died aged 31, his agent and manager have both confirmed.
The former Premier League footballer, who played for both Newcastle United and Chelsea, went missing following the devastating earthquake in Turkey and Syria on Monday, February 6. His body has now been discovered and the sad news was confirmed on Saturday morning.
Atsu was reported as missing within hours of the earthquake. He scored a last-minute winner for current club Hatayspor in their home game against Turkish Super Lig rivals Kasimpasa on Sunday, February 5 – just hours before the devastating event unfolded. Atsu joined the Turkish side last September and was in the city of Antakya when the earthquake struck earlier this month. The winger also represented the likes of Porto, Everton, Bournemouth and Malaga during his career, as well as playing international football for Ghana.
His agent, Nana Sechere, said: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.
“I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time.”
A number of Turkey’s Super Lig sides have also paid tribute.
Christian Atsu played for Chelsea, Porto and Newcastle – among other clubs
Hatayspor had initially announced that Atsu was found alive and pulled from the rubble on Tuesday, February 7. Atsu’s agent, Nana Sechere, told Mirror Football that his client was plunged from the ninth floor of an 11-storey building following the earthquake.
Story Courtesy of Mirror.