By Jimmy Fatunbi
The pan-Yoruba socio-cultural and political organization, Afenifere, on Wednesday, January 24, 2024, held its first General Meeting in the new year in the Akure home of the Leader, Pa Reuben Famuyide Fasoranti, OFR and sacked its Acting Leader, Pa Ayo Adebanjo.
After the opening prayer, The Leader, Pa Fasoranti, welcomed members and congratulated everyone for surviving the year 2023. He prayed for a successful 2024 and beyond.
In attendance at the meeting were representatives from various State Chapters of Afenifere.
A motion on the need to abrogate the dual positions of Acting Leader and Deputy Leader was moved by Dr. S. J. Ibikunle from Ogun State. It was seconded by Members from Ekiti, Kwara, Oyo and Ondo States. When the matter thrown to the general house, the motion was unanimously carried.
Flowing from this, the Leader then declared as follows:
“In the light of recent events and the pressing need to reposition and rejuvenate Afenifere, it has been decided as follow:
1. The position of Acting Leader and Deputy Leader have now been abrogated.
2. The responsibilities and authority of advising the Leader Afenifere and Asiwaju Yoruba are now vested in the Afenifere Elders Caucus which is hereby constituted.
*Members of the Elders Caucus* are as follow:
1. Chief R. F. Fasoranti – Chairman
2.Chief Ayo Adebanjo
3. HRM Oba Olu Falae CFR GCON
4. HE Senator C O Adebayo
5. Senator Femi Okunrounmu PhD CFR
6. Basorun Seinde Arogbofa OFR
7. Senator Kofo Bucknor Akerele
8. Arch Bishop Prince Ayo Ladigbolu
9. Lt. Gen Alani Ipoola Akinrinade rtd CFR
10. Maj Gen. Olu Bajowa rtd CFR
11. Prof Bolaji Akinwande Akinyemi CFR
12. Prof Banji Akintoye
13. Otunba Dr S A J Ibikunle
14. Chief Femi Aluko
15. Prince Alonge
16. Dr Yomi Finnih
17. Prince Olusi.
18. Hon Korede Duyile.
19. Prof Ropo Sekoni
20. Hon Lekan Alabi
21. Dr Kunle Olajide
Afterwards, further deliberations commenced.
At the instance of the Leader, His Royal Majesty, Oba Olu Falae, presided over the meeting.
Participants condoled the people of Ondo State over the demise of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu. The meeting also congratulated the people on the inauguration of Otunba Lucky Orimisan Ayedatiwa as new Governor of the state just as participants lauded President Ahmed Bola Tinubu for his role in resolving the earlier impasse following the call by Ondo State Elders, under the auspices of Pa Fasoranti to do so.
Participants expressed shock over the blast that occurred in Ibadan on Tuesday, January 14, 2024 and condoled with the government and people of Oyo State over the unfortunate incident. They also commiserated with the people of Plateau State over the attack on their communities by terrorists.
The meeting then deliberated on issues affecting the organization, Yorubaland and Nigeria as a whole. Among the issues discussed were the state of the nation with particular reference to the socio-economic and security situations in the country. Restructuring as a means towards a new lease of life and a better Nigeria was also discussed.
After comprehensive deliberations, the meeting then resolved as follow:
1. There is an urgent need to rework the Security Architecture of the country to ensure that Nigerians are able to live and move about without the fear of being kidnapped or harassed in any way. Such reworking should include giving states and local government councils that so desire to establish own police services with all the requisite powers to function as such. Doing so would check, if not totally stop, the incidences of kidnapping and sundry banditry now ravaging the land.